By: Logan Godfrey (@LoganGodfreyPSU)
With Friday looming, the Patriots and Eagles have been holding joint practices in Foxboro to prepare for the game and simply practice against someone different for a change.
What should Patriot’s fans be looking forward to in the second week of preseason action?
- Tom Brady should be starting the game on Friday evening and will probably see around one quarter of action. Brady sat out against Washington last week, letting Ryan Mallet and Jimmy Garoppolo take the reins. The future Hall of Famer will look to get on the same page with his offense during game action, while possibly sneaking in some younger players to see if Brady can prove their worth on the roster (Josh Boyce, Jeremy Gallon and Brian Tyms).
- James White, the rookie from of Wisconsin, has been hyped up during training camp, but he really didn't produce in last week’s game. White’s snaps should come during most of the first half and possibly into the third quarter. He’s been seen as threat to Stevan Ridley, but until he makes his mark in the preseason, Ridley’s job is safe.
- Darrelle Revis has been getting beat my Jeremy Maclin… bad. That’s a good sign for the Philadelphia receiver, but a bad one for the Patriots. Is it a fluke or can Revis not keep up with speedy receivers? A bad week of practice might have him ready to shine on Friday night.
- A slew of undrafted rookie tight ends were cut in the last few days, and veterans Ben Hartsock and Steve Maneri were brought in because of the experience they can provide. Are they worthy of their roster spots? Hopefully. Behind the often injured Rob Gronkowski, is an injured Michael Hoomanawanui. The Patriots might have to look towards upcoming roster trim down dates to get the secondary tight end they desperately need.
- Defensive tackle is an overloaded position right now. Having just acquired Jerel Worthy from Green Bay and Ben Bass from Dallas, the Patriots are seeking what will be there best options going forward. No one really knows what their lineup will be. Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly are coming back from injuries. First round pick Dominique Easley is working his way back from an injury too. Fans will have to see for themselves what the depth can provide of Friday evening.